[En-Nut-Discussion] Nut/OS 5.0 and STM32 Support

Ole Reinhardt ole.reinhardt at embedded-it.de
Fri Aug 24 00:22:31 CEST 2012

Hi Harald,

> > This is very very good news!!!
>
> You recognized "not to add"?

Yes :-) Still very good news as we are on the right way :)

> > usage? Which platform do you use for tests?
>
> It's developed on a AT91SAM7X256-EK board. Key negotiation performance
> is lousy, when not using pre-calculated keys. Data transfer is
> acceptable, but we do not have measured figures. On the other hand, the
> SAM7X is not among the fastest in its class and the code is still not
> optimal.

Cool. Is the hardware crypto acceleration of any use for TLS? (Sorry,
don't know anything about the used algorithm)

> > And last but not least, how easy is it so set up an own test?
>
> Last time I tried about 3 weeks ago and after Daniel committed a few
> missing files, I got it running within a few minutes. Have a look in
> the tls branch. You will recognize, that it is self contained and
> doesn't require modifications of the Nut/OS libraries.

Cool. Do I have to install the external crypto library? What's about the
licensing?

> > Currently I have the problem that we might need to establish an SSL
> > connection the other way round (where the Ethernut is the client). Could
> > this be done as well?
>
> We have to ask Daniel about client capabilities. But forget to have it
> available for commercial projects soon.
>
> 1. "It works" does not mean that it is reliably secure.

Ok!

> 2. So far, Nut/OS hasn't been developed with secure systems in mind. There may be wide open doors we are not aware of.

Agree :) Anyway, I had project requests, where the webserver should be
ssl capable. If the system is secure nobody cared about. But for
marketing purposes it should be SSL capable.

Bye,

Ole

--

Thermotemp GmbH, Embedded-IT

Embedded Hard-/ Software and Open Source Development,
Integration and Consulting

http://www.embedded-it.de

Geschäftsstelle Siegen - Steinstraße 67 - D-57072 Siegen -
tel +49 (0)271 5513597, +49 (0)271-73681 - fax +49 (0)271 736 97

Hauptsitz - Hademarscher Weg 7 - 13503 Berlin
Tel +49 (0)30 4315205 - Fax +49 (0)30 43665002
Geschäftsführer: Jörg Friedrichs, Ole Reinhardt
Handelsregister Berlin Charlottenburg HRB 45978 UstID DE 156329280