[En-Nut-Discussion] Which is the latest greatest branch

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Fri Aug 24 11:14:38 CEST 2012

On 24.08.2012 10:43, Ole Reinhardt wrote:
>> That's no obstacle. I have no intention to test anything older than
>> Windows 2000, even that is too old. XP or 2003 may be acceptable.
>
> Yes, but VFAT is still used by lots of people. And the "links" are not
> available there. So you could not just copy a whole Nut/OS tree to a
> VFAT (USB Stick for example) without loosing the links.

I cannot imagine, that any Windows user formats his working drives with FAT or any variant like VFAT. I'm not even sure if the latest Windows versions allow this, because of security reasons.

But yes, I also prefer FAT for backups and transfer media, because it is most widely accepted among operating systems. I won't care, if links get lost. However, I'd run crazy, if I'd learn later, that my backup is incomplete, because it silently terminated after it failed to process a symbolic link. Links are an essential feature of Linux and all tools must be able handle them. I have my doubts, if that is true for NTFS links.

>> P.S. Yes, I know. OS X is poorly maintained, but it works in general.
>
> OS X is no problem, it's a unix, so symbolic links exists.

Sorry, I should have expressed this a bit clearer. I was referring to general Nut/OS development support using OS X as a host system. Actually I haven't tried to build the Configurator on OS X since we changed the autotool structure.