[En-Nut-Discussion] Bit banging drivers broken?

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Fri Oct 5 16:39:27 CEST 2012

Hi Uwe,

On 05.10.2012 15:35, Uwe Bonnes wrote:

> And inventing a new name is hard, should it be e.g. sbi_newgpio.h? So
> perhaps lets make in the nut/dev directory a subdirectory incomplete_gpio
> and move the old files there. Every occurancy of the driver in the
> configurator is changed form <driver_name.c> to
> incomplete_gpio/<driver_name.c>. If an architecture now implments the
> complete NutGpio Api, we change back incomplete_gpio/<driver_name.c> to
> <driver_name.c>.

OK, I understood that.

>     Harald> Please note, that other developers (like me) have existing
>     Harald> applications, which will break.
>
> I don't see where such a setup breaks applications.

As long as no change is required in app/tcps.c, app/portdio.c and

http://www.ethernut.de/nutwiki/Generic_Port_Access

then existing applications should survive this change.

Btw. are you aware of

http://www.ethernut.de/nutwiki/Unified_GPIO_Implementation

This had been done by Ulrich Prinz (and partly by Thiago Correa) more
than 2 years ago.