[En-Nut-Discussion] Bit banging drivers broken?

Uwe Bonnes bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
Fri Oct 5 18:12:23 CEST 2012

    Harald> Hi Uwe, On 05.10.2012 15:35, Uwe Bonnes wrote:

    >> And inventing a new name is hard, should it be e.g. sbi_newgpio.h? So
    >> perhaps lets make in the nut/dev directory a subdirectory
    >> incomplete_gpio and move the old files there. Every occurancy of the
    >> driver in the configurator is changed form <driver_name.c> to
    >> incomplete_gpio/<driver_name.c>. If an architecture now implments the
    >> complete NutGpio Api, we change back incomplete_gpio/<driver_name.c>
    >> to <driver_name.c>.

    Harald> OK, I understood that.

Is this a "go" for the incomplete_gpio/<driver_name.c> approach?

    Harald> Please note, that other developers (like me) have existing
    Harald> applications, which will break.
    >>  I don't see where such a setup breaks applications.

    Harald> As long as no change is required in app/tcps.c, app/portdio.c
    Harald> and

Does app/tcps.c work reliable on any architecture that has the need to
enable a port clock, like at91sam7, STM32 or LPC? There is no call to
GpioPinConfig, so the port clock is not switched on. _Maybe_ something else
did the initialization before, but no guarantee.

app/portdio.c carries the arch/board specific cruft that should be
avoided. board.h should define generic values like LEDX_PORT ans LEDX_PIN
It also carries hard coded values, as
#if defined(ETHERNUT1) || defined(ETHERNUT2)
#define INBANK      2    /* PORTB */
which should be
#define INBANK      NUTGPIO_PORTB    /* PORTB */

on platforms with "incomplete" Gpio API.

    Harald> http://www.ethernut.de/nutwiki/Generic_Port_Access

    Harald> then existing applications should survive this change.

Why does http://www.ethernut.de/nutwiki/Generic_Port_Access do board
specific stuff. The example only works on Ethernut1-3.

Otherwise "no change is required" (famous last words ...)

    Harald> Btw. are you aware of

    Harald> http://www.ethernut.de/nutwiki/Unified_GPIO_Implementation

    Harald> This had been done by Ulrich Prinz (and partly by Thiago Correa)
    Harald> more than 2 years ago.

How can I write access the document?  There are flaw that I want to point
out and maybe introduce more considerations.

Bye

Uwe Bonnes                bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de