[En-Nut-Discussion] EIR & RAM-Test

Ulrich Prinz ulrich.prinz at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 17 22:08:43 CEST 2012

Hi!

You want to check the external RAM?

Some presumptions:
1) You have a Chip with some internal RAM, enough to start a minimal
Nut/OS (abt. 2..10k should be fine)
2) You have the program in an direct accessible FLASH.
3) Your program consists of threads that use their own stacks,
initialized on startup of each thread.
4) Your program must be compiled without the external flash mentioned in
the linker script.

Now you start your main() with enabling your external RAM, checking the
RAM and then add it to your heap via NutHeapAdd().

As the EIR has an AT91SAM7X256 it hast internal direct accessible FLASH
and 128k of internal SRAM. So this solution will work for you.

A tip for the RAM test: use a random array of chars using all data
lines. The size of the array should not match any RAM specs like size of
RAM, size of columns, size of rows. With that you'll find problems very
fast.

Ulrich