[En-Nut-Discussion] Stellaris Licences, was: Re: Ethernut on TI's ...

Uwe Bonnes bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
Mon Oct 29 23:10:43 CET 2012

    Philipp> It seems rather unrelated to the StellarisWare package and is
    Philipp> tagged with revision "32" of 27 March 2009.
    >>
    Philipp> It could be possible to write a translator which generates a
    Philipp> CMSIS file from the StellarisWare header, so we could get
    Philipp> around this licensing issue. But besides being an annoying
    Philipp> task, this would simply be stupid as the files are readily
    Philipp> available...
    >>  There was a TI license change somewhere in between. Before that
    >> change the files contained a disclaimer _not_ allowing to use the
    >> header in conjunction with BSDL like licenses. So forget about old
    >> revisison and use _only_ revisions after that license change.

    Philipp> it's not that I wanted to use old files/revisions. This is
    Philipp> simply the only CMSIS-like distribution I could find at all. Or
    Philipp> am I missing something?

I downloaded the headers from
http://www.ti.com/tool/cmsis_dsp_headers,

and, in fact, peeking into the zip file you see " legally binding
agreement", "sole purposes of designing and developing object and executable
versions", "You shall maintain the source code versions of the Licensed
Materials under password control protection" and much more to scare you.

So I think it's a NO-NO to use their headers and my conclusion would be to
at least suspend such a port until they change their mind.

Bye

Uwe Bonnes                bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de