[En-Nut-Discussion] Licensing issues

Uwe Bonnes bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
Mon Sep 10 15:08:28 CEST 2012

    Ole> @Uwe and Harald:

    Ole> What is the current status about these licenses? Especially the

    Ole> http://www.st.com/software_license_agreement_liberty_v2

    Ole> Does not allow us to even publish our code as long as we do not
    Ole> fully adhere to their license terms, especially:

    Ole> "...and provided further that such Licensed Software or derivative
    Ole> works of the Licensed Software execute solely and exclusively on
    Ole> microcontroller devices manufactured by or for ST"

    Ole> But this term also makes me thinking about the whole issue again:

    Ole> In my understanding they say that their code may only be published
    Ole> as long as it will run in their CPUs. But Nut/OS does not include
    Ole> this code for any other CPU, right?

That is my feeling too:
#if defined(MCU_STM32)
#include <arch/cm3/stm/stm32xxxx.h>
#include <arch/cm3/stm/system_stm32xxxx.h>
#include <arch/cm3/stm/stm32xxxx_rcc.h>
#include <arch/cm3/stm/stm32_clk.h>

only will include the file when working with STM32. But I am no expert with
licenses. Harald has the last word.

    Ole> Would this allow us to remove the dependencies to their license
    Ole> agreement in the configurator?

Hoepfully..

    Ole> Anyway I would definately feel much better if we get a clean BSDL
    Ole> confirming licensing.

    Ole> @Harald: Didn't you say that you have a good contact to STM? Is
    Ole> there any chance to get into dialog with them to clean-up their
    Ole> licenses or get a exception to it?

This would be the cleanest solution...

Bye
Uwe Bonnes                bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de