[En-Nut-Discussion] Licensing issues

Ole Reinhardt ole.reinhardt at embedded-it.de
Mon Sep 10 13:02:49 CEST 2012

Dear all,

As mentioned before I cleaned up the interrupt code to get rid of the
last reference to the Luminary License.

But we still have references to some files licensed under the

MCD-ST Liberty SW License Agreement V2
STMicroelectronics Guidance Only

in some crucial parts of Nut/OS.

These are:

nut/arch/cm3/cmsis/ostimer_cortex.c
nut/arch/cm3/os/nutinit.c

in the configurator we still have to accept these licenses independedd
of what kind of Cortex CPUs we are building for.

@Uwe and Harald:

What is the current status about these licenses? Especially the

http://www.st.com/software_license_agreement_liberty_v2

Does not allow us to even publish our code as long as we do not fully
adhere to their license terms, especially:

"...and provided further that such Licensed Software or derivative works
of the Licensed Software execute solely and exclusively on
microcontroller devices manufactured by or for ST"

But this term also makes me thinking about the whole issue again:

In my understanding they say that their code may only be published as
long as it will run in their CPUs. But Nut/OS does not include this code
for any other CPU, right?

Would this allow us to remove the dependencies to their license
agreement in the configurator?

Anyway I would definately feel much better if we get a clean BSDL
confirming licensing.

@Harald: Didn't you say that you have a good contact to STM? Is there
any chance to get into dialog with them to clean-up their licenses or
get a exception to it?

Best regards,

Ole Reinhardt

--

Thermotemp GmbH, Embedded-IT

Embedded Hard-/ Software and Open Source Development,
Integration and Consulting

http://www.embedded-it.de

Geschäftsstelle Siegen - Steinstraße 67 - D-57072 Siegen -
tel +49 (0)271 5513597, +49 (0)271-73681 - fax +49 (0)271 736 97

Hauptsitz - Hademarscher Weg 7 - 13503 Berlin
Tel +49 (0)30 4315205 - Fax +49 (0)30 43665002
Geschäftsführer: Jörg Friedrichs, Ole Reinhardt
Handelsregister Berlin Charlottenburg HRB 45978 UstID DE 156329280