[En-Nut-Discussion] Ethernut 1.3H Crystal 32.768khz

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Tue Apr 9 09:32:10 CEST 2013

Hi Ayman,

On 08.04.2013 22:29, Ayman Hendawy wrote:
> Thanks for your detailed answer, actually I was asking for a part no. for
> this crystal, regarding the two part numbers, they mentioned that the
> capacitor is 12.5pF, how can I use these crystals without using the
> mentioned capacitors, by another meaning if I replaced Y2 by these ones
> will work, How?

You cannot look just to the crystal only. You need to check the
oscillator first.

http://www.atmel.com/images/doc8333.pdf

The 32kHz oscillator on the AVR die has internal capacitive loads.
Therefore, external capacitors are not required, typically.

On Ethernut 1.3H an Epson Toyocom Q.032768MC146A crystal is mounted.