[En-Nut-Discussion] DHCP

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Fri May 3 12:18:31 CEST 2013

Hi Ulrich,

On 29.04.2013 15:46, Ulrich Prinz wrote:
> Not to fast please, I am still there...
>
> even from a different company ;)

I'm very happy to still have you around. :-)

> When I pushed the changes to the repository, I got some remarks about
> style and debug code left inside, but I did not get any comments about
> not working DHCP.

Then you forgot about

http://lists.egnite.de/pipermail/en-nut-discussion/2011-November/013168.html

continued at

http://lists.egnite.de/pipermail/en-nut-discussion/2011-December/013176.html

as well as

http://lists.egnite.de/pipermail/en-nut-discussion/2012-February/027495.html

Don't get me wrong. I assume, that the DHCP idle bug reported in this
thread (and others since 2010) was not introduced by your changes.

Actually the problem was, that some developers (including me) were not
able to follow your changes and expected an update, which never
appeared. For good reasons, I know.

As a result, no one else feels in charge and nothing happens to fix the
reported bugs.

Just for clarification (and for Joerg): DHCP and Nut/OS in general is
working reliable in very large networks. There are, however, certain
special conditions, that expose specific bugs. Like in this case, most
large networks do have a DHCP backup running. There is no such network
situation without DHCP and that bug will never appear.

P.S.: Yes, I know, I announced to set up a list of responsible
maintainers. It's not forgotten, I simply didn't have had the time.