[En-Nut-Discussion] Compiling toolchain and programs on Windows

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Tue Nov 26 09:38:46 CET 2013

Hi Philipp,

congrats! You are the second developer this week, who fails by
over-complicating things. ;-)

On 25.11.2013 17:00, Philipp Burch wrote:
> Using Cygwin, I've now managed to compile the Ethernut tools itself
> (nutconfigure.exe at least) and generate the build and application

It's not required to go the Cygwin/Fink way. Everything should work fine
on native Windows/Mac PCs.

> make -C arch install
> make[1]: Entering directory '/cygdrive/c/Dokumente und
> trouble, but right now, this seems not to be the root cause. When I open
> the offending dep file, the problem is revealed:
>
> ------------ 8< ---------------
>  c:\programme\gnu\ tools\ arm\ embedded\4.7\
> 2013q3\bin\../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/4.7.4/include/stddef.h \
> ------------ 8< ---------------

It looks weird, indeed. But it looks the same on my windows machine and
it works. I'm building on a native Windows shell. Are you using the
Cygwin shell for building?

> So my question is now, how to fix this?

Remove Cygwin! It may cause problems on Windows machines when mixing it
with other tools ported from Linux. It's simply not worth the trouble.

Download and install Nut/OS via the executable Windows installer.

http://www.ethernut.de/en/download/

Then follow

http://www.ethernut.de/en/hardware/enut5/nutos_configure.html

Because that guide is for ARM9, you have to use slightly different
configurations for the Cortex, but you are probably aware of these.

Do exactly what's described in this (and other) guides. Don't experiment
with anything. It should work out of the box. After verifying that all
works fine, you can simply replace the nut source tree by your branch
and implement your own ideas for branches, tools and other stuff.