[En-Nut-Discussion] About the next beta release

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Thu Oct 10 13:57:04 CEST 2013

Hi Uwe,

On 10.10.2013 12:50, bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de wrote:
>     Harald> I still haven't been able to fix the PROGMEM problem for the
>     Harald> 8-bit AVR, which looks tricky. If time allows, I'll try again,
>     Harald> but currently there is no chance. I can still limit the release
>     Harald> to the latest AVR toolchain and exclude WinAVR support. For beta
>     Harald> code this should be acceptable.
>
> I already asked about an example with the PROGMEM issue. If it doesn't
> involve avr-icc, which I don't have, I would like to have a look at that
> problem.

Sorry, Uwe, either I missed or forgot it.

The problem is related to avr-libc. Since version 1.8 several data types
had been removed, including the often used prog_char. I'm able to
compile for avr-libc < 1.8 or avr-libc >= 1.8, but I never managed to
get the same code linked with both versions.

If possible, I'd like to support both to keep Nut/OS upgrades
attractive. Users may boggle, if they are forced to switch the toolchain
too, because that may require large changes in their existing code too.

Thanks for your offer.