[En-Nut-Discussion] About the next beta release

bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
Thu Oct 10 14:15:26 CEST 2013

    Harald> Hi Uwe, On 10.10.2013 12:50,
    Harald> I still haven't been able to fix the PROGMEM problem for the
    Harald> 8-bit AVR, which looks tricky. If time allows, I'll try again,
    Harald> but currently there is no chance. I can still limit the release
    Harald> to the latest AVR toolchain and exclude WinAVR support. For beta
    Harald> code this should be acceptable.
    >>
    >> I already asked about an example with the PROGMEM issue. If it
    >> doesn't involve avr-icc, which I don't have, I would like to have a
    >> look at that problem.

    Harald> Sorry, Uwe, either I missed or forgot it.

    Harald> The problem is related to avr-libc. Since version 1.8 several
    Harald> data types had been removed, including the often used
    Harald> prog_char. I'm able to compile for avr-libc < 1.8 or avr-libc >=
    Harald> 1.8, but I never managed to get the same code linked with both
    Harald> versions.

    Harald> If possible, I'd like to support both to keep Nut/OS upgrades
    Harald> attractive. Users may boggle, if they are forced to switch the
    Harald> toolchain too, because that may require large changes in their
    Harald> existing code too.

I don't see __PROG_TYPES_COMPAT__ anywhere in our codebase:
t520:~/devel/eagle> find -type f | xargs grep PROG_TYPES_COMPAT
t520:~/devel/eagle>

>From the documentation in the header file, this seems nescessary for recent
avr-libc.

Author: joerg_wunsch <joerg_wunsch at 1084037a-409f-4a99-8160-1a4b3577d4c1>
Date:   Thu Dec 29 08:42:00 2011 +0000

    * include/avr/pgmspace.h: Do only include the deprecated prog_*
    typedefs if the user requests this by defining
    __PROG_TYPES_COMPAT__.  If they are generally defined, users are

Otherwise, perhaps get in contact with Joerg. He is quite active in the
http://www.mikrocontroller.net/ forums.

Bye

Uwe Bonnes                bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de