[En-Nut-Discussion] About the next beta release

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Thu Oct 10 15:48:40 CEST 2013

Hi Uwe,

On 10.10.2013 14:15, bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de wrote:

>     Harald> If possible, I'd like to support both to keep Nut/OS upgrades
>     Harald> attractive. Users may boggle, if they are forced to switch the
>     Harald> toolchain too, because that may require large changes in their
>     Harald> existing code too.
>
> I don't see __PROG_TYPES_COMPAT__ anywhere in our codebase:

My impression was, that GCC does not and actually never supported
attributes assigned to types. It worked by accident.

Like avr-libc fixed this by removing those types, we should remove them
too. Setting __PROG_TYPES_COMPAT__ is not a fix, but a work-around to
compile old code.

> Otherwise, perhaps get in contact with Joerg. He is quite active in the
> http://www.mikrocontroller.net/ forums.

This is the place where I got my informations from. There are also
several related and excellent posts in the AVR GCC forum at avrfreaks.net.