[En-Nut-Discussion] Driver configuration at runtime

Thiago A. Corrêa thiago.correa at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 00:37:13 CEST 2013

Hi Ole,

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 6:28 PM, Ole Reinhardt
<ole.reinhardt at embedded-it.de> wrote:

> As mentioned in my first mail, we won't get arround writing board files
> for the maintained and supported eval boards.

Currently our boards are completely described in .conf files which are
not in ethernut's repository.
We should be able to select a "None" board so that can still be done
externally from Nut/OS code and in the application code.

> Anyway that would be a good idea to seperate board initialisation and
> driver loading from the application code.
>
> In other words:
>
> - in my eyes, basic initialisation of the Pin-muxing for example should
>   be done in the board init.
>   the board init as well. This way the end-user would not need to care
>   about any configuration at all and just can run the main application
>   code.

Then we do need the configurator to disable driver compilation and have some:

#ifdef <DRIVER>_ENABLED
NutDeviceRegister(&dev, &platform_data);
#endif

Otherwise we will pull in unused code and consume flash space.

I can give some help, we can coordinate in irc if you want.

Kind Regards,
      Thiago A. Correa