[En-Nut-Discussion] ARM Optimization Issue?

Ole Reinhardt ole.reinhardt at embedded-it.de
Fri Oct 25 22:13:56 CEST 2013

Hi Bob,

Am 25.10.2013 21:30, schrieb Bob Wirka:

> We hammer the board with network traffic (all UDP & broadcasts) for testing.
> With release versions of the NutOS libraries, the code crashes (_excpt_dummy).
> With debug versions of the NutOS libraries, it doesn't crash.

Very likely a buffer overflow or stack overflow in your software. The
difference between both versions of Nut/OS is the stack usage and stack
layout. So you can have luck with the debug version, but without debug
code the bug will hit you.

Use the stack checking to see how much free stack space you still have.
If stack is running below several hundred bytes you will very likely
have a problem.

If you have a debugger, you could try to read out the register values
and try to figure out the place where your code crashes... But in case
it is a stack problem this may not help you much.

For a first test, try to increase all stack sizes.

Best regards,

Ole Reinhardt

--
kernel concepts GmbH            Tel: +49-271-771091-14
Sieghuetter Hauptweg 48         Mob: +49-177-7420433