[En-Nut-Discussion] Switching to GIT

bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
Thu Sep 26 11:03:09 CEST 2013

    Harald> Would that really make sense? According to this thread, all
    Harald> developers, which are currently active, seem to be ready for a
    Harald> change. Why keep SVN as the "Git master"?

Because switching to either git or hg implies policy and maybe will leave
(parts of ) one group unhappy.

    Harald> More questions pop up, because I'm not familiar with the Git/SVN
    Harald> gate.  Today I create a new SVN maintenance branch before
    Harald> releasing a new final version and tag the trunk at that
    Harald> point. Can I do the same on my local Git repo and will that be
    Harald> automatically transfered via "git svn commit"?

The principal command is "git svn dcommit"

Well, there is "git svn branch <branchname> " and  "git svn dcommit
<branchname>" that imply it can be done. I didn't test however yet.

    Harald> Git allows a developer to pull from an untrusted source, check
    Harald> the changes, and, if it looks fine, send a pull request to the
    Harald> master. How to do that with SVN? Will the change be directly
    Harald> committed by the developer, who received the untrusted change?

Als not tested. But I guess you pull in the changeset locally and than you
push to SVN with "git svn dcommit"

Regards
Uwe Bonnes                bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de