[En-Nut-Discussion] RPM packages

Ole Reinhardt ole.reinhardt at embedded-it.de
Sun Jan 12 23:55:08 CET 2014

Hi Marcin,

Am 10.01.2014 13:43, schrieb Marcin Trendota:
> I finally created Fedora 18 packages (for testing purposes from trunk,
> so these are not meant to be use in production!).

A big thank from my side (as linux hacker) as well. Unfortunately I can
not test your RPMs, as I'm using debian based systems.

> I tried to break
> archive into smaller pieces but i failed in few cases. I can't extract
> includes (include/ directory) for example, because Makefiles are adding
> '-I' parameter with source directory. I don't know if this can be
> changed without patching NutOS files?
>
> I tried to extract conf/ dir to /usr/share/ also without luck (i
> believe configuration files should be there, not in source tree).

Which files exactly do you want to extract from the main repository
tree? And all in all, where do you plan to place the files at all?

I definately would not place any include files to /usr/include for
example, as these are not target specific headers, but are headers of a
cross compile environment.

In my eyes the whole thing should be copied as a whole tree to
/opt/ethernut-5.1.0 for example.

Only the real binaries (qnutconf, crurom, etc...) I would install to
/usr/bin

You could think about installing the *.cong files from nut/conf to
/usr/share/ethernut-5.1.0/conf for example. But all other files in
nut/conf need to stay where they are, as the configuator (and its
internal lua interpreter) expects them there.

> I wonder if it's worth to modificate configuration scripts / makefiles
> to allow those extractions and make tweaks unnecessary? To be honest i
> don't know which files will need modification and maybe this could be
> done by some options passed to autogen.sh / configure scripts?

At least the modifications need to stay compatible with what is
currently existing, as the windows users use the same Makefiles. Please
keep in mind that under Windows you very likely won't have a shell.

Personally I even do not see a real need to have a Debian (or RPM)
package. The package makes much sense for the Nut/OS tools (see above),
but the sourcecode I always want to have in close relation to my
development project. Often I also copy the Nut/OS tree to the project
repo as well, as we need to have a defined revison in our project.

Again, the Nut/OS tools stay the same most time, so these could be well
installed in the system.

If I can help you any further, please let me know.

Best regards,

Ole

--
kernel concepts GmbH            Tel: +49-271-771091-14
Sieghuetter Hauptweg 48         Mob: +49-177-7420433