[En-Nut-Discussion] NUTOS Threads and gdb

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Tue Sep 23 19:21:24 CEST 2014

Hi Nathan,

On 23.09.2014 18:01, Nathan Moore wrote:

>> The FreeRTOS' GPL won't hurt us in this case, because debugging routines
>> won't go in to production code.
>
> The license isn't about production code but distributed code, but I think

Right. But if GPLed code doesn't go into production code, then the
distribution of the production code doesn't require the source code.

> that the issue here is that OpenOCD needs to have support added for NutOS.
> NutOS builds would need to have some exported symbols for things like the
> list of threads, and OpenOCD would need to know what to find and how to use
> that.

Plus my personal concern: It is very difficult to build OpenOCD for
Windows, because over the time it requires more and more tools, which
are not available on native Windows.

Building in msys typically fails, because also msys only provides a
minimum toolset. Cygwin is more complete, but its installation may break
other tools (Windows DLL hell). So far, I'm using msys on Linux to
create Windows executables. But again, DLLs (or the related libs and
headers) do not always work without further modification. I never
managed to build a version with all supported interfaces.

Btw. my last OpenOCD build for Windows is

Open On-Chip Debugger 0.9.0-dev-00019-g970a12a-dirty

So far I haven't published it. If anyone is interested, let me know.