[En-Nut-Discussion] NUTOS Threads and gdb

Uwe Bonnes bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
Tue Sep 23 19:45:27 CEST 2014

    Harald> Plus my personal concern: It is very difficult to build OpenOCD
    Harald> for Windows, because over the time it requires more and more
    Harald> tools, which are not available on native Windows.

    Harald> Building in msys typically fails, because also msys only
    Harald> provides a minimum toolset. Cygwin is more complete, but its
    Harald> installation may break other tools (Windows DLL hell). So far,
    Harald> I'm using msys on Linux to create Windows executables. But
    Harald> again, DLLs (or the related libs and headers) do not always work
    Harald> without further modification. I never managed to build a version
    Harald> with all supported interfaces.

Even with a running OpenOCD, you need support files for your board, your CPU
and your debugger. Every time I tried for my problems, some of this support
was missing (or may be only obsure to me).

I use Blackmagic http://www.blacksphere.co.nz/main/blackmagic for STM32
debugging and put some effort in it to support more CPUs and boards and
documentation http://embdev.net/articles/STM_Discovery_as_Black_Magic_Probe.
It shows up as a USB serial device and and after "target extended
/dev/ttyACM0", "monitor jtag (or swd)" and "attach 1" I have connection to
the target cpu. No Host OS dependancy beside having USB CDCACM support. And
if needed, the CDCACM support can easyly be exchanged against normal serial
connection.

I just tried to start a discussion on the blackmagic mailing
list about thread support. Hopefully there is some outcome or helpfull hints
for that discussion.

Bye
Uwe Bonnes                bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de