[En-Nut-Discussion] RFC: Moving to github

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Tue Jul 21 14:12:38 CEST 2015

I'm completely confused now.

Ole wants to move from SF to Github, but quotes my answer regarding a
change from SVN to Git.

And, if I get this correct, Uwe wants to stay with SF and SVN, but use
Git locally.

To avoid more confusion, I'll clearly state my own opinion:

Ethernut is a low budget project, which supports many different
platforms. A single developer isn't able to check, if his change on one
platform may break others (or simply adding more bytes than an existing
application can provide). Querying the mailing list for every change has
turned out as a show stopper. Either other members are too busy to
answer, or catch the opportunity for endless discussions. (This sounds
reproachful, but is meant amused.)

I have no concerns keeping the SVN repository at SF as a central
"official" code base, but would move hot developments to public Git
repositories. To me, it makes no difference, where these repositories
are hosted.