[En-Nut-Discussion] RFC: Moving to github

Nathan Moore nategoose at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 16:32:12 CEST 2015

On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 9:43 AM, Harald Kipp <harald.kipp at egnite.de> wrote:

> Philipp's TI-CM3 branch is _the_ proof, that this can work. It is one of
> the (sub-)repositories I'd trust. If you think that an important patch
> is missing, you can offer it to him. But it's his decision to accept or
> reject it and your decision to follow him or create your own fork.
>
> Is freedom really so scary?

I think that it can be for a new person.  There's quite a bit of a learning
curve for
a totally decentralized development process.  Versions tend to get named
things
that mean something to people who have watched the forks come to life or are
at least very familiar with the issues at hand, but they may not be
meaningful to
a new person.

I think that there has to be some special significance to a release series,
so that
new people can get started without being overwhelmed.
This is the version that http://ethernut.de/en/download/ and
http://ethernut.de/de/download/ point new users to, which is probably going
to be
what Harald considers good.  If everyone becomes dissatisfied with Harald's
choices then one or more branches become forks and they may cease to be
Nut/OS.  If this happens then it will be painful for many, particularly the
new
people who attempt to come in during this transition, but in a few months
there
will be one or more new names for the forked OSes and things will settle
down.

SVN is more than adequate for a monotonic official version repository.
It's
better than a folder of archive files (ethernut-*.*.*.tar.gz) in many ways
for
official versioning, which will also no doubt continue in parallel to
repository
downloading of some sort.
git is also more than adequate for this.

Things to consider:

 * Does SVN offer something that git does not for releases?  Is that worth
it?

 * Are there enough people out there who are going to really miss SVN
access?
   I suspect that the people who really use the version control aspects of
it would
   be using git (or mecurial or monotone) locally now, unless they aren't
that active.

 * If everything is moved away from SVN, which git site is the best host of
official
   releases?

 * Does anyone like me?