[En-Nut-Discussion] RFC: Moving to github

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Wed Jul 22 12:07:09 CEST 2015

Hi Nathan,

On 21.07.2015 16:32, Nathan Moore wrote:
>> Is freedom really so scary?
>
> I think that it can be for a new person.

Can it become worse than it is now? ;-)

But I got your point. In fact, during the last few years the user base
is declining and new users are typically won by word of mouth propaganda.

>  * Does SVN offer something that git does not for releases?  Is that worth
> it?

For Nut/OS releases, not really.

>  * Are there enough people out there who are going to really miss SVN
> access?

Not me.

>    I suspect that the people who really use the version control aspects of
> it would
>    be using git (or mecurial or monotone) locally now, unless they aren't
> that active.

Our internal projects are still tracked with SVN for several good
reasons. Git would require too much additional administrative effort.

>  * If everything is moved away from SVN, which git site is the best host of
> official
>    releases?

This is less important to me.