[En-Nut-Discussion] Have anyone implemented an ENC28J60 driver for Nut/OS

Uwe Bonnes bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
Thu May 5 12:48:42 CEST 2016

    Ole> Hi Uwe, Am 04.05.2016 um 23:49 schrieb Uwe Bonnes: A fried of mine
    Ole> (still Ethernut newbee, but very interested) would like to use the
    Ole> ENC28J60 together with an STM32 on a eval board.
    >>
    >> Why not use a Nucleo-144 Board with ethernet? Probably not much more
    >> expensive that some board + ENC28J60, but already tested at least
    >> somehow.

    Ole> Mostly because of educational purposes and because the ENC28J60 are
    Ole> well known in the Arduino maker scene. In this case, the question
    Ole> is not "What could be easier" but "what is available and how to
    Ole> learn something" (e.g. writing an ethernet driver).

The arduino Ethernet shield I know and have has the W5500. However with SPI
wired to the AVR Arduineo ISP connector, so connection to the STM32 Nucleos
needs hand wiring. My interest in writing a driver was lost with the advent
of the Nucleo 144 :-)

    Ole> He is a guy of our local hackspace :)

Understanding the tools and installing the toolchains is a daunting job. I
would not feel like to start writing a driver in that situation. For me it
helps if I can start with something that is known to work. Then start
modifying existing things and then start something new.

Others may have a diferent approach...

    >> And before starting a ENC28J60 driver, what about a driver for the
    >> W5500 , a chip with much more intelligence?

    Ole> Isn't the W5500 an ethernet controller with hardwired integrated
    Ole> TCP/IP Stack? This would mean that you can not use the Nut/NET
    Ole> stack, but have to use the limited functions of the Wiznet chip? Or
    Ole> did I miss anything?

As far as I know, there is also some "raw" mode available for the Wiznet
Chips.

But if learning to write a driver, the ENC is probably the better choice for
a start.

Bye

Uwe Bonnes                bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de

--------- Tel. 06151 1623569 ------- Fax. 06151 1623305 ---------