[En-Nut-Discussion] NutEnterCriticalLevel

Uwe Bonnes bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
Tue Jan 16 13:41:48 CET 2018

Dear Dušan,
>>>>> "Dušan" == Dušan  <dferbas at etech.cz> writes:

    Dušan> Uwe, I feel we've got on a wrong path :-).

    Dušan> Why you concentrate on the NutEnterCriticalLevel ? Let's forget
    Dušan> about it for a while.  I suggest to start with NutEnterCritical
    Dušan> for m68k platform. This is the initially issue, we started to
    Dušan> talk about.  I attached 2 emails below.

    Dušan> Let's look at the include\arch\arm\ atom.h.  Here ccodes are also
    Dušan> stored into a temp variable.

No, this temp variable is only used to not destroy R0. Look at the log entry
for Rev 1897:
"Bug #1757410 fixed. NutEnter/ExitCritical destroyed ARM register R0."

temp is also only inside a stack frame, so it is lost when NutEnter|Exit
Critical() when the stack frame and that function is exited.

    Dušan> That's exactly what we are doing on the m68k platform.

    Dušan> ---------- But with m68k gcc, we have a problem, when there is a
    Dušan> nested NutEnterCritical.  The temp variable is compiled as 2
    Dušan> different registers, 1st level goes e.g. into d1, 2nd level into
    Dušan> d2. Then leaving the 2nd level restores status word from d1,
    Dušan> which is a problem This is why we started to use NutUseCritical
    Dušan> macro.

I don't see any nested NutEnterCritical in the common code. Can you point
me at such a use?

If not, I think that some form of nested critical section is a case for a
new function, but not for NutEnterCritical().
You can implement that new function for your arch as you like. Name it like
NutEnterCriticalLevel or NutEnterNestedCritical, etc.

Bye

Uwe Bonnes                bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de

--------- Tel. 06151 1623569 ------- Fax. 06151 1623305 ---------