[En-Nut-Discussion] NutEnterCriticalLevel

Dušan dferbas at etech.cz
Wed Jan 17 12:41:07 CET 2018

Uwe,

thanks for the discussion.
I found probably a reason, why we needed to preserve a priority level -
see below the second section.
Third section is about how we tried to implement the nesting mechanism.
Maybe I am wrong, so please share your opinion.

-------------------------
_ARM implementation_
First I checked the SVN #1897 for the include\arch\arm\atom.h.
The previous version of this file was only manipulating status word (SW)
via r0.
The #1897 changed r0 to using a temp_ variable, also current SW was
stored onto !sp, preserving it until NutExitCritical.
#2040 added "cc" clobbers for proper compiler optimization.

The #2150 finally left this critical state entry  implementation to a
stack version - NUT_CRITICAL_NESTING_STACK,
added critical_nesting_level for faster switching, if critical state was
already entered.
I found e.g. code in NutThreadCreate, where NutThreadAddPriQueue is
called after NutEnterCritical invocation.

Then it was realized, there is no need to preserve SW.

-------------------------
A note below, from the Coldfire MCF52259 CPU manual, says, it can happen
a spurious interrupt can occur.
To avoid it, there is a need to increase priority level to block such a
potential interrupt, when you manipulate the peripheral module IMR.
To accomplish this, we need to run critical sections in some drivers at
lower int priorities and increase this priority to highest (7) while
manipulating with the module's IMR
You can check code at the beginning for PREVENT_SPURIOUS_INTERRUPT
macros, which enclose some code between NutEnterCritical and
NutExitCritical.
Mechanism is exception -> enter a certain int priority level, want to
manipulate uimr -> increase to highest priority.

Idea: I can think about it - maybe, we can use a special variant of
NutEnterCritical with nesting only for a driver implementation.
Then the rest of OS can stay with NutEnterCritical only setting /
clearing the SW bits in a similar way, you do it in the ARM platform.
What do you think?

> /*
>  * MCF52259RM.pdf - 16.3.2 Interrupt Mask Registers (IMRHn, IMRLn)
>  *
>  * NOTE
>  *
>  * A spurious interrupt may occur if an interrupt source is being
> masked in the
>  * interrupt controller mask register (IMR) or a module’s interrupt mask
>  * register while the interrupt mask in the status register (SR[I]) is
> set to a value
>  * lower than the interrupt’s level. This is because by the time the
> status
>  * register acknowledges this interrupt, the interrupt has been masked. A
>  * spurious interrupt is generated because the CPU cannot determine the
>  * interrupt source.
>  * To avoid this situation for interrupts sources with levels 1–6,
> first write a
>  * higher level interrupt mask to the status register, before setting
> the mask in
>  * the IMR or the module’s interrupt mask register. After the mask is
> set, return
>  * the interrupt mask in the status register to its previous value.
> Because level
>  * 7 interrupts cannot be disabled in the status register prior to
> masking, use of
>  * the IMR or module interrupt mask registers to disable level 7
> interrupts is
>  * not recommended.
>  */

-------------------------
Our idea was not to store SW on stack, but use a register for preserving it.
In this case, the block entry parenthesis becomes a problem.
We tried first to use it with only 1 parenthesis and use a local variable:
> #define NutEnterCritical() \
> { \
>     uint16_t volatile _savpri; \
>     asm volatile ( \
>         "move.w    %%sr, %%d0\n" \
>         "move.w    %%d0,%[savpri]\n" \
>         "ori.l #0x700, %%d0\n" \
>         "move.w %%d0, %%sr\n" :: [savpri] "m" (_savpri) : "d0");
>

> #define NutExitCritical() \
>  \
>     asm volatile ( \
>         "move.w %[savpri], %%d0\n" \
>         "move.w %%d0,%%sr\n" :: [savpri] "m" (_savpri) : "d0"); \
> }

Then we tried following:
> #define NutEnterCritical() \
> { \
>     uint16_t register _savpri; \
>     asm volatile ( \
>         "move.w    %%sr, %%d0\n" \
>         "move.w    %%d0,%[savpri]\n" \
>         "ori.l #0x700, %%d0\n" \
>         "move.w %%d0, %%sr\n" : [savpri] "=d" (_savpri) :: "d0");
>
> #define NutJumpOutCritical() \
>  \
>     asm volatile ( \
>         "move.w %[savpri], %%sr\n" :: [savpri] "d" (_savpri)); \
>
> #define NutExitCritical() NutJumpOutCritical() }

The NutUseCritical was a final solution.

*Dušan*