[En-Nut-Discussion] SRAM speed

ethernut at dotaussie.com.au ethernut at dotaussie.com.au
Thu Sep 12 11:18:35 CEST 2002

Hi Harald,

We'd be quite happy to help with the hardware design for that part of the
circuit, if you like. It certainly appears from your operating system that
you have put in massive amounts of work, and we have no real desire to have
to keep 'patching' the OS to meet a slightly different hardware
configuration. So if you were supporting our memory configuration, obviously
that would be great for both of us.

I actually expect delivery of some sample CPLD's tomorrow, with which I
intend on experimenting with some alternate memory interfacing systems, as
well as providing address decodes, etc. I will let you know how it goes.

Are you already committed to using a particular brand of CPLD chip? If so,
do you have any ideas on exactly which chip you want to use? The chips I
have been looking at are the Altera EPM3064/3128. (I think the 3032 would
end up too small, also there is a 100TQFP package for both the '64 and '128
which means ability for drop-in expansion)

Do you have any suggestions for other lines that you would like to pass
through the chip? I can imagine that SPI & I2C could be useful, for
interface to 3.3V chips. Are there any other ideas that you had that you
could suggest that we look at?

On the LAN chip, how do you go with the pricing of the SMC parts? I find
that (at least here in Australia) the SMC parts seem very expensive. Also,
what equipment do you use for hand-soldering the prototypes of these new
boards? The fine pitch surface mount chips look quite challenging (eg. LAN
chip)

Regards,

Alastair