[En-Nut-Discussion] PPP with ethernut & autodialer

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Thu Sep 19 20:14:13 CEST 2002

Dave,

Yes, I heard about the trouble with the Seiko chip. Robert
from OptiCompo told me this a few weeks ago. He also
pointed out, that he may start a PPP device driver for
the Ethernut. But he is typically very busy and I haven't
heard anything else from him since then.

Mike Cornelius (huhu, Mike :-)) is a member of this list.
Hopefully he will give a response, whether he is willing
or able to share or sell his code. From his error reports
I know, that he has something running.

Last chance: The original Liquorice stack by Dave Hudson
(see sourceforge) contains the PPP routines. But they have
never really been finished. The Ethernut code has changed
a lot in the meantime. Re-implementing the Liquorice PPP
will not be trivial. Unfortunately (for us) Dave is now
employed by Ubicom and will not support Atmel CPUs.

We at egnite got a really big list of todo's and won't
be able to implement PPP within the next weeks. However,
if someone else jumps in, I will try to help. I received
several offers during the last months. I assume, that
all of them gave up after they realized, that it's not
simply PPP, but also all the authentication and dialer
stuff, that has to be done.

Sorry for this almost bad news.

Harald Kipp