AW: [En-Nut-Discussion] RFC: Ethernut Bus System

Robert Hildebrand robert.hildebrand at ims.fhg.de
Mon Apr 7 11:21:59 CEST 2003

Hi Harald,

to my opinion the most important advantage of using ethernut or the
AVR-Controllers is their simplicity. Adding more and more components brings
them in competition to more sophisticated solutions like embedded linux
solutions on StrongArm etc.
We mostly used ethernut for connecting serial interfaces (RS232, RS485, IIC,
SPI, EIB) of "not networkable devices) to ehternet. So our typical topologie
ist 1 Ethernut + 1 adapter-board or 1 Ethernut + special interface cable.
The next problem always was the housing of the system.
With this experience I would prefer a connection which is

Solution 1:
too big, an a standard 19''-Backplane-Solution is getting very expensive.

Solution 2:
Competition with PC104 could lead to complex solutions.

Solution 3:
I share your opinion

Solution 4:
We have some expirience with connectors used from TQ-Components (data sheet
attached), which force you to make a real layout even for breadboarding, but
are very small and reliable. Maybe you could combine two connectors, one
with all the signals in a "professional" shape and one for simple additions
with uart, power and some portpins on one or two 10 pin 1" pitch connectors.
Another solution could be a high-density connector and a "first steps
extension" board for development, which could later be replaced by a
user-made extension board.

One word to the housing: I would really like a shape of ehternut, which
allows the usage of a standard housing like "Europakarten
Strangpressprofilgehause".

Robert