[En-Nut-Discussion] Development Environ - general questions

Dave Smart SmartFamily at mchsi.com
Tue Feb 4 13:38:38 CET 2003

Hi List,

I've recently acquired a ATJTAGICE, and was studying the connections to
Ethernut. While waiting for a USB to serial port expander, I thought I'd
send this query off. I recalled seeing a picture that implied the ICE was
not directly plug-compatible. Browsing through list archives, I came across
this, which seems to confirm that -
	http://www.ethernut.de/en/jtag/jtagconn.html
I'm curious why it wasn't plug compatible, (assuming that the answer may be
related to the PonyProg pinout)

Anyway, in my quest for a more efficient development environment that is
based on -

* Win98 or Win2k

* Ethernut starter kit (includes PonyProg which for me has been
under-reliable (Note 1))

* ATJTAGICE (probably don't need PonyProg anymore?)

Can you [ALL] recommend to me what works best for you ?

For instance -

* Is there a "startup tutorial" somewhere to answer all these questions?

* Is there an advantage - code quality, debug-ability, etc. with either
AVR-GCC 3.3 or ICCAVR 2.62C ?

* Does everybody use AVR Studio 4.04 that has the ATJTAGICE? Are there
alternatives? Can it debug the C code at a source level, or only asm ?

* Is it typical to use external editor for C source, then how do you debug
in C/asm using AVR Studio?

* Has everyone moved to NutOS 2.60 ?

Most questions I can answer with research and trial and error, but I do
appreciate the jumpstart!

Note (1)
* PonyProg - I have found it to often claim failure, when it was actually
successful, but is always horribly slow. I saw some instructions about
disabling verify, but it appeared to have no effect.

* I've tried UISP (20020626) - which unfortunately never worked for me. I
think I didn't get the cygwin pieces going correctly.

thanks!
Dave Smart