[En-Nut-Discussion] Memory Question

Ralph Mason ralph.mason at telogis.com
Sat May 10 12:20:32 CEST 2003

Hi, I have done page extensions to Nut OS

The extensions allow each thread to run in one or more banks, my board has
128kb of ram with 3 2kb pages allowing a thread to have 2,4 or 6 kb of ram.
You can create a thread with a paged or non paged stack. The board has 128kb
of ram (64 pages). (Memory map 0-0xdfff ram, e000-e7ff page1, e800 - efff
page2 , f000-f700 page3 , f800 - IO space including page registers )

It all works quite well, it does mean that threads can't access stuff on
another threads stack but that isn't really a problem. The way the driver
work they are always copying from heap allocated memory to a thread supplied
buffer, in the context of the calling thread.

The basic outline is each thread has a number of page slots (in my case 3)
these get written to the page register on each context switch.

I have some simple page allocation / deallocation functions, so a thread can
request a page and assign it to one of it's slots.  Threads could both share
pages also.

If its of any use I can sent the files.

Regards
Ralph