[En-Nut-Discussion] Re: [En-Nut-Announce] Version 3.4.2 Available

Rick Collins ethernut at arius.com
Tue Mar 9 18:14:24 CET 2004

At 09:18 AM 3/9/2004, you wrote:
>Rick,
>
>At 07:28 09.03.2004 -0500, you wrote:
>
>>Maybe I just have ARM envy, but it is driving me crazy (a short trip)
>>that everyone on the planet seems to be talking about the Philips ARM
>>MCUs and no one has even noticed the OKI chips.
>
>Good to meet an "OKI Promoter". My concerns about OKI
>are, that they produce chips for their printers, using
>the open market as a second channel only. Almost everyone
>I talked to confirmed this view.
>
>No doubt, in the market Ethernut is irrelevant. But
>as long as some major players use the same chips, we
>are quite safe.

I have never heard about OKI designing the ARM chips primarily for their
printers.  They have been making printers for a long time and they only
started making ARM chips since last summer.  Besides, if you consider the
features the chips have, most of them would not be useful in a
printer.  Why would you need ADC or PWM in a printer?  Where did you hear
this?

I am designing boards that I will be selling in thousands per year
(hopefully).  If my disti partners are setting me up for a fall, they will
bear part of the blow when I stop ordering from them all together.

Whatever the source of this rumor, I expect it is way overblown.  OKI is
trying to attract business, not ruin it.

I just checked and there are hundreds of parts in stock at Nuhorizons right
now.

Rick Collins