[En-Nut-Discussion] Watchdog/Idle thread issues again

Matthias Ringwald mringwal at inf.ethz.ch
Fri Dec 9 15:46:29 CET 2005

Hi Ulrich

> Sorry, what I meant is, is it OK to use NutTimerStart()?

If your goal is to mimimize the risk of a hang-up (tolerating reboots),
you should not use NutTimers. Since a while, the Timer handler are
called
during thread switch (which, I believe, is the right place in a
cooperative os),
but if your threads get stuck, the Timer handler will probably not be
called at all.

another thought: you could combine your idle thread with a HW watchdog.
the idle thread would check the time since the last UDP was sent and
if thats ok, reset the hw watchdog. by this, you can have any timeout
value but are safe from complete stops.

personally, I think that nut/os is very stable and reliable, so if
your software is ok, your app just shoud never block (my 2 cts. )

matthias