[En-Nut-Discussion] httserv - size

Hugo Simon hugo.simon at gmx.de
Tue Feb 8 20:55:21 CET 2005

Hi Amit

The hex file ist not binary. If you look into the file using a text editor
(or the cat command) you will see a mass of hex digits. The programmer
software decodes this into the real bytes of the code. Since each byte is
show as two hex digits (characters) the file size doubles compared with the
real size of the code. Then there are a couple of other informations in the
hex file (checksum, start and stop characters, linefeeds and so on) which
blows up the filesize again.

You can aproximately say a hex file is good double the size of the real
code.

You can see the real code size in the linker output.

Hope that helps

bye
Thorsten