[En-Nut-Discussion] [OT-Question] @ Egnite / Kernelconcepts Team(s)

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Wed Jul 20 16:11:22 CEST 2005

Hello Andreas,

This is an English language group, but luckily I'm able to
understand a little bit German. :-) For all other members:
Andreas asked, why we chose the AVR or ARM instead of the
DSTni-EX based on Intel.

Answer: The initial challenge was to use a low cost, low
power 8 bit micro controller. Now how about ARM? The ARM7TDMI
is internally a 32 bit machine, but still a low cost and
low power device. Both, the AVR and the ARM permit the
design of very simple Ethernet nodes.

Btw. an integrated MAC doesn't reduce the chip count nor
does it simplify the layout. It _may_ provide extra
performance.

Finally, there are other very good 8, 16 or 32 bit CPUs.
The excellent support with Open Source Tools for the
AVR and the ARM played a decisive role.

Harald