[En-Nut-Discussion] Change in directory structure for platform dependend files

Ole Reinhardt ole.reinhardt at kernelconcepts.de
Thu May 26 12:42:54 CEST 2005

Hi Oliver,

I also struggled with this some time ago.

> Thus my suggestion is to reorganize all platform dependend files and code to
> be located in an appropriate directory below /arch.

I realy agree we should move the files as proposed!

What's about the dev directory? Here we also have a lot of plattform
dependand code. Should we perhpas also move the plattform dependand
files in the special directory and only leave plattform independand
drivers in the main dev directory?

And if we just started thinking about portability... I like to start a
discussion about better portability of the driver model at all... For a
long time I just thought about a driver model a bit more like the linux
driver model. With drivers devided into character driver (Serial, LCD,
TWI...), block devices (flash, harddisk), network drivers (ethernet,
perhaps also can), filesystems (fat, urom) and misc drivers (PIO...)

Any suggestions? This would be a lot of work, but perhpas a good goal
for NutOS 5.0

Regards,

Ole

--
kernel concepts    Tel: +49-271-771091-14
Dreisbachstr. 24   Fax: +49-271-771091-19