[En-Nut-Discussion] Question about the Peanut filesystem

Jesper Hansen jesperh at telia.com
Thu Jan 12 21:28:47 CET 2006

1. You're very very wrong. ;-)

2. I see a few problems with that. Apart from not being thread local :-O
it would take a long time to traverse the tree to get to the final file
  (or directory) element. It does of course also eat some memory,
especially if you have a number of different paths stored.
My version is probably rather FAT specific, yes. It may be possible to
use the same approach on some other FS's directly, I have not looked at
PNUT or the Flash filesystem enough to know how they work.
The advantage is that it is superlow on memory and is fast as there is
no search involved to get to a certain directory.

Not sure if I understood your question right, but I think you ask if
it's possible to "back up" the three to obtain the current dir from the
cluster number. Well, the size of the directory doesn't matter, as the
dircluster would always be the first in the cluster chain. The dot and
dotdot entries can be used to back one step up and the previous dir
could then be found within that dir with a scan. Then up a level again
until there is no more dot enties (identifying the root). The path name
would then be built up from the end up. Shouldn't be as bad as it sounds ;-)

I look forward to see more of the PHAT code. I have two Nut 3.0 on the
way, so I have something to play with.

/Jesper