[En-Nut-Discussion] Nut don't work anymore

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Wed Jul 5 20:20:33 CEST 2006

At 20:01 05.07.2006 +0200, you wrote:
>Hurra, it's alife again.
>
>I tried a third power supply now. The first 7V supply seems to be to low
>(suddenly, works for years?!), the reset controller held down the reset pin
>all the time.

Great.

Yeah, the amazing price drop in power supplies takes its toll.
I remember one of our CE tests. A few LEDs had been mounted to
the front panel, connected to the Ethernut expansion port.
Shooting some ESD pulses to these LEDs was responded by a big
bang and the Ethernut stopped working. A few minutes later I
found out, that the power supply died. After replacing it, the
Ethernut worked fine again.

I'm still wondering how the high voltage found its way around
the Ethernut into the power supply. Of course the Ethernut is
highly sensitive to ESD, specially the version 1.3, which we
tested at that time. Many Realteks died during the last years
because of improper handling of the bare boards. The Ethernut 2
boards seem to be much more robust.

No wonder, the bad power supply was marked with any certificate
you can think of. :-)