[En-Nut-Discussion] Heave load will harm the system?

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Wed Mar 1 09:52:10 CET 2006

At 21:17 28.02.2006 +0000, you wrote:

>i believe last time the system hang cause by a suddent memory drop, and
>not able to recover from that drop,
>however when i redo the test, it seem everything just fine.

After several reports with systems hanging, I'm a little
bit alarmed. Let's see what we have:

1. As far as I can say, most users experienced problems with HTTP.
    Several use the original httpd sample with "minor" changes.

2. A few reported problems without HTTP. May be they do a lot
    of TCP connect/disconnect cycles?

3. Some users reported problems with large networks. Unfortunately
    no simple test application is available.

4. Several very complex applications are running without problems
    for months. I assume, that most of them use long lasting
    connect times (compared to HTTP).

5. No one reported low memory situations and Michael's tests
    with ARP flooding additionally proofed, that the APR cache
    doesn't seem to cause any problem.

6. Some reported problems after upgrading from 3.4 or earlier.
    Again the applications are complex and the problem may be
    caused by different stack usage.

Please correct me, if I'm wrong.