AW: [En-Nut-Discussion] Ethernet 1.3 w/modem

Ernst Stippl ernst at stippl.org
Sat Sep 16 21:51:04 CEST 2006

Hi Elan!

I have not worked with Ethernut 1.3, but from some fiddling around with the
2.2 board, I remember:

I connected the pins 4-5 (RTS/CTS) and 6-8-20 (DSR/DCD/DTR) on the 25 pin
connector on the modem side to safisfy its interface signal requirements.
only 2, 3, 7 (TX, RX, GND) were connected between the Ethernut and the
modem. I do not remember if I used a straight thru or model elim cable.

One important thing is to enable to modem to start dialling without prior
"listening" for a ring tone on the phoneline. the respective command is
"ATX3" Sometimes ringtones are not detected properly by modems, due to
differenes in the various coutries' phone systems.

Sending the string "ATZ" to the modem is a reset command and is ack'ed by
the moden by a "OK" string. have you tried the UART sample program to work
with UART1 so you can see if the wiring to the modem is OK?

And dont forget to send a CR (carriage return) after each command, otherwise
the modem will not "execute" it....

hope this helps

regards
ernst