[En-Nut-Discussion] Nut/OS TCP/IP versus Commercial Implementations

Curtis Maloney cmaloney at cardgate.net
Fri Mar 2 05:30:09 CET 2007

Andrew Mieczkowski wrote:
>    I have been using Nut/OS and TCP/IP on Ethernut 2 and AT91SAM7X-EK
> boards and they have been performing wonderfully. I have also tried a
> demo from CRX systems to see how well the AT91SAM7X-EK would function
> with without an OS. It seemed a little faster, but not worth the cash
> (at the moment).

A little off topic, but something I feel worth noting:

Many people would suggest this is one of the best strengths of free software -
it raises the bar on what commercial software MUST deliver.  As you so
accurately stated, whilst the commercial offering is better, it's does not give
you _enough_ of an advantage to warrant the cost.

Somehow, a lot of FOSS advocates miss this point.

--
Curtis Maloney
cmaloney at cardgate.net