[En-Nut-Discussion] NutOS Upgrade, was: NutGetMillis in Uart ISR

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Fri Nov 9 09:44:25 CET 2007

Hugo Simon schrieb:
> But that nut_ticks variable isn't there in my NutOS 4.1.9.1. Should I
> update? I fear it a bit because in the past often I had to update WinAVR,
> too. And the WinAVR guys seem to have fun renaming registers and other stuff
> in each version.

You can simply remove the static specifier to make nut_ticks globally
accessible.

Yes, the compatibility problems in the past were mainly with avr-libc.
Some of their changes were an advantage, a few were at least
controversial. Anyway, in my opinion it is better to have some
incompatibilities than to have dead projects like
http://sourceforge.net/projects/opentcp/
> I have avr-gcc 3.3.1. Is it save to upgrade without running into problems
> with old sources?

As far as I can say, avr-libc didn't introduce any incompatibilities
during the last 1 or 2 years. However, the new GCC Version 4 is very
picky and you may get many compiler warnings. The Nut/OS libraries had
been adjusted.
> BTW. does the upgrade of NutOS solve the old problems with crashes in big
> networks and the problems with loading many small GIFs from the Ethernut in
> one html page?

The new enhanced HTTP support presented at
http://www.ethernut.de/en/documents/httpd-enhanced.html
will probably solve most problems. But please wait for the next update.
The memory hole described at the end of the document does exist in the
published release.

If you check the ChangeLog file, many minor and major problems had been
fixed since 4.1.9. But I'm afraid, that I have to say, that someone
recently reported again, that his system failed in large networks. They
also modified parts of the IP handling and are using Ethernut 3. But
there is a chance of an undetected bug.

> I had to buy a commercial web thermometer because these problems and my much
> nicer Ethernut based web thermometer lays around now. :-(

We have two options. Either you wait until our company is the same size
with a similar large network, or we'll try to set up a test in your
network. What do you think?