[En-Nut-Discussion] Address space of EIR

Bernd Walter enut at cicely.de
Sun Oct 12 23:48:48 CEST 2008

> On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 08:20:19PM +0200, Ole Reinhardt wrote:
> Hello,
>
> > I am looking at the schematic of the EIR board and there is something I find
> > strange ...
>
> I'll try to answer at least the first question even if I don't have the
> EIR schematic.
>
> > How can I use the address bus on this board? The A0 bit is used for DQML and not
> > as an address line. So the address is from A1 to A15 instead of A0 to A15. I can
> > understand from A0 to A14 (15 bits instead of 16 bits addressing).
>
> I think the data bus is not 8 but 16 bit or even 32 bit wide. In this
> case you can only address every 2nd or 4th address over the address bus
> and every memory access is 2 or 4 byte aligned. In this case the first
> or first two address lines are not needed.

There is nothing strange in it once you know how SDRAM works.
Addressline usage with the SDRAM controller is different than with the
static memory controller - it uses a different bit layout and it uses
multiplex addressing.
See the Atmel datasheet, which contains some SDRAM wiring samples.
Once a board designer has selected a memory chip there is just a single
fixed wiring to the AT91, so everything is in the datasheet.

--
B.Walter <bernd at bwct.de> http://www.bwct.de