[En-Nut-Discussion] Dead Ethernut

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Mon Mar 2 14:18:44 CET 2009

macsmaker at aol.com wrote:

> Thinking back, it's possible that I may have carelessly connected the JTAG cable to the SPI connector on the board, although I have programmed it many times.?

With Ethernut 1.3 Rev-G you can use either JTAG or SPI, both will work.
However, only one must be connected.

Plugging JTAG into the SPI socket or vice versa, which Atmel had made
possible by specifying the same form factor, will immediately blow the
overcurrent fuse.

This is not the case with your board, because LEDs are still lit.

> If this is indeed what I have done, is the board repairable? avr-dude reports the fuses are okay. I'm pretty sure the power supply is okay. I did check the power supply fuse on the board, and it is okay. Also, I believe the clock is running on the processor, but I will check this again.

avrdude will also report good fuses, if the ATmega103 compatibility fuse
 has been programmed. But in this case no ATmega128 code will run
anymore. You have to compare the real fuse settings against the data
sheet. The avrdude manual explains how to read them out.

Again, if nothing helps, contact your dealer or egnite.