[En-Nut-Discussion] Dead Ethernut

Thiago A. Corrêa thiago.correa at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 16:21:23 CET 2009

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 11:58 AM, Pete Allison <macsmaker at aol.com> wrote:
> Harald,
>
> I got the zip file (basemon.zip) from the archive. There is a bin and a hex
> file. With my limited experience with embedded systems, I have only worked
> with hex files. Are the files the same?
>
> If not, how do I upload the bin file? Same as the hex?

Yes, they are the basically same thing, except that the hex format
contains the address/offsets inside the file.
For example, the AVR32 flash starts at 0x8000000. So, to program those
with a bin file, one must specify that address to the programmer,
while the .hex already contains that information.

Bin file is usually usefull for the bootloader, as it's code can be
simplified by not having to parse the .hex format :)

Kind Regards,
   Thiago A. Correa