[En-Nut-Discussion] A few network related feature polls

Thiago A. Corrêa thiago.correa at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 02:16:31 CET 2009

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 1:21 PM, Harald Kipp <harald.kipp at egnite.de> wrote:
> Bernd Walter wrote:
>> My target is to get 6LoWPAN including forwarding from Ethernet running.
>> Hardware is a AT91SAM7X256/512 with CC2420 Module.
>
> Interestingly we at egnite plan something similar. Our first idea was to
> implement ZigBee, but license issues makes this far less attractive.

I'm also interested in an 6LoWPAN implementation in Nut/OS. Is the
merge with btnut still on the horizon? Perhaps we should think on a
radio interface implementation as we have for the ethernet so drivers
implement a common API and we can choose different radio chips.

>> So far I have two options available.
>> - Run a uIP thread on Nut/OS and catch all IPv6 packet.
>> - extend Ethernut to every required feature
>
> Adam's license fits well and we can probably steal a lot from his code
> to extend the Nut/OS stack.

Last I saw there was some heavy development, specially at the routing
level. Is it stable now?

>> The second is a lot more work, but more attractive in the long run.
>> Basicly it is a list of many features, which I'm unsure about current
>> development status.
>> The main points are:
>> - running multiple interfaces with multiple IPs
>
> A little bit tricky, but not too difficult. At least routing is already
> prepared for more interfaces.

I guess we should include a Nut Configurator option, to keep the
binary size down for those who don't need it. I for one can see myself
building both routed and unrouted versions for different products.

>> - IPv6 packet format in general
>>
>> I know that IPv6 is not available, but it was often discussed and what
>> about the other points?

It was a requested feature from way back. I know very little about
IPv6, but I've been trying to study a bit.

> I'm only unsure about the release. We have 4.9 beta available for some
> time now. Actually I'd prefer to have 4.10 (or 5.0?) out first, before
> starting to add such a modification like IPv6. There is still some
> clean-up work to be done (mainly the docs) for the next stable version.
> I'd also like to have the qt based configurator and stable AVR32 builds
> as well.

The qnutconf is missing a Delegate (so it will show radio icons on the
tree instead of a checkbox icon) and create proper editor widget
(qcombobox) for the multiple choice options and spinbox for the
integer options. Other than that, tweaks here and there, and the part
that generates the sample tree. It actually builds already, but with
the missing custom delegate, some choices are unavailable for
modification.

Are you aware of problems with the AVR32 build?

Kind Regards,
    Thiago A. Correa