[En-Nut-Discussion] EIR and java script

Ulrich Prinz uprinz2 at netscape.net
Thu Jan 28 23:36:28 CET 2010

Hi!

I am trying to improve the EIR a bit. So I added search functionality to
the discover part. The code is not in the trunk of the eir sourceforge
as I didn't test it against EK and AVR.

But I have a problem.
The discovery always requests the top10 from shoutcast on every click
you do on that page. So I figured out how to detect if there was a
text-search request or a genre list selection.
Fine. But these lists may get very long. So on every "play" or "add to
favourites" click, you may get dropouts in sound, even on EIR board as
for instance "Dance" gives from 800...1500 stations...

Even if you cache the results, it lasts a while until lists of sever
hundreds of stations are put back to the html page.

Now I am looking for a java script solution that submits the data to the
EIR but does eventually not update the page. In this case even small
systems can work with larger lists, as they do not have to cache or
retrieve the list every time again.

And I need a variable that is submitted to the EIR CGIfunctions that
contains the action the user started (genre, search, play, whatever). Is
this possible only with hidden input fields?

Any idea?

Best regards, Ulrich