[En-Nut-Discussion] Switching to GIT

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Wed Sep 25 13:23:15 CEST 2013

Hi Uwe,

I'm picking up this old thread again.

On 22.05.2012 19:02, Uwe Bonnes wrote:

> I brought up the discussion about switching to GIT some time before. As most
> branches now a obsolete, isn't it a good time to do the swicth now?

If I remember that earlier discussion correctly, you didn't provide any
killer argument to convince the majority of active developers. So, just
asking the same question again and again without providing new arguments
won't change anyone's opinion.

I also remember, that you main argument was history lookup speed and I
replied, that Sourceforge's web interface is quite responsive. During
the last days, however, that new web interface drove me crazy several
times. Actually I started to hate this blinky, JavaSript-packed gimmick.
Specifically following a single file's history has become a pita.

In the end you find me ready for changing to Git. Why not hg? Well, it
looks like Git is most popular and very well supported on all major
platforms. As Thiago already mentioned, Mercurial is easier to learn.
But I think, that's a temporary problem. Actually most open source
developers are already familiar with Git.