[En-Nut-Discussion] NUTOS Threads and gdb

Nathan Moore nategoose at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 19:54:37 CEST 2014

> Right. But if GPLed code doesn't go into production code, then the
> distribution of the production code doesn't require the source code.

So each developer will have to introduce any code changes to get it working
without introducing offending code from anyone else?  And none of this ever
gets put into SourceForge (or similar).  Distribution sneaks in there, but
it would be possible to do this since NutOS has a more lenient license than
the GPL, but it does introduce the high likelihood that users who are
developing proprietary products based on NutOS may accidentally or
ignorantly leave GPL pieces in when distributing in some form.  After that
anyone who obtains a copy from them can consider that code to be GPLed.  So
if some guy named Frank made a product based on NutOS, used GPLed code to
debug, and forgot to remove or revert the GPL stuff, and sold one of this
products to Karl, and Karl determined that this product had GPLed code in
it, then Karl would have a claim that upon request Frank should provide him
with source code and that Karl could redistribute that code and derivative
works under the GPL.  I love GPL, but it can be a tricky beast.  And I
don't even know which version of GPL we are talking about.  If it's v3 then
there are even more gotchas.